AT&T Makes $1 Million Contribution to Governor Christie's Sandy Relief Organization
Nov 09, 2012 (M2 PRESSWIRE via COMTEX) --
Trenton , New Jersey -- AT&T today announced a $1 million contribution to a newly-formed nonprofit organization founded by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie supporting relief and care efforts following last week's storm. AT&T's contribution, together with support from other donors, will enable this newly created relief organization to provide shelter, food and other necessities to people impacted and displaced by the storm.
"This gracious and significant donation will galvanize the Relief Fund and expand our reach and services throughout the Garden State," said First Lady Mary Pat Christie, who serves as Chair of the Fund. She added, "We cannot thank AT&T enough for their commitment to New Jersey and its most devastated towns and neighborhoods. I look forward to collaborating with Mike Schweder in order to maximize the benefit of this contribution."
"New Jersey residents have been hit hard by Sandy and AT&T has been working closely with the state's leaders to ensure they have the resources to help all those in need," said J. Michael Schweder, President, AT&T Mid Atlantic. "Our team has been working around the clock to restore services in affected areas and deploying charging stations to help those without power. AT&T thanks Governor and Mrs. Christie for their leadership and for creating this organization to benefit storm victims around the state."
The New Jersey contribution builds on the AT&T Foundation's $250,000 grant to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund and $225,000 in grants to local nonprofits in the Tri-state region providing immediate relief:
- $50,000 to the Food Bank for New York City
- $50,000 to Long Island Cares, Inc.
- $25,000 to the Connecticut chapter of the American Red Cross
- $100,000 to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey
AT&T's financial support is in addition to AT&T's broad-based and growing storm restoration and care efforts, which include:
- Restoration : AT&T's disaster response team has been fully engaged and working around the clock to ensure the flow of wireless and wireline services in the affected areas. As of today, 99 percent of our sites are up and running across the region impacted by Sandy. Updates on restoration efforts are available att.com/newsroom .
- Charging Stations : People in affected areas are invited to visit any of AT&T's approximately 400 retail store locations now open through the Northeast to charge their devices. Details on open stores and temporary/mobile charging stations will be posted as soon as available at att.com/liveblog.
- Text-to-Pledge : AT&T wireless customers can make a $10 donation for Hurricane Sandy relief by texting to the following non-profit organizations:
o REDCROSS to 90999 to support the American Red Cross
o STORM to 80888 to help the Salvation Army
o HUMANE to 80888 to give to the American Humane Society
Customers who would like to contribute more can text up to five times for a total donation of $50. One hundred percent of any donation will be paid to the customer's designated charity and the customer will be charged for the donation via the customer's monthly AT&T bill.
- Late Payment Support : AT&T will extend the late-payment window for wireless and wireline customers who are behind, waive late payment fees and will not disconnect services because of non-payment.
- Employee Support : The AT&T Foundation administers a Disaster Relief Fund through which AT&T employees can assist fellow employees impacted by this storm and other qualified disasters. Additionally, AT&T provides employees with the ability to assist others by contributing to charities like the American Red Cross. Employees already have pledged more than $330,000 to Sandy relief.
AT&T and the AT&T Foundation have contributed more than $6 million to American Red Cross and regional affiliates for disaster relief efforts in the past 10 years, providing support for individuals and communities impacted by hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and other natural disasters.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world . Its subsidiaries and affiliates -- AT&T operating companies -- are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com . This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss . Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT .
About Philanthropy at AT&T
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is committed to advancing education, strengthening communities and improving lives. Through its philanthropic initiatives, AT&T has a long history of supporting projects that create learning opportunities; promote academic and economic achievement; and address community needs. In 2011, more than $115 million was contributed through corporate-, employee- and AT&T Foundation-giving programs.
(C) 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
((M2 Communications disclaims all liability for information provided within M2 PressWIRE. Data supplied by named party/parties. Further information on M2 PressWIRE can be obtained at http://www.presswire.net on the world wide web. Inquiries to email@example.com.
[ Back To education 's Homepage ]